Friday 11 March 2011

A date for your diary

Men in trunks, waiting.


Beattie rushed in from his stint at Club Derrig last night all breathless and overcome a lot.

I removed my pipe and with the moist end indicated he should sit.

"Recover yourself, old chap," I said, replacing my pipe and puffing away. "Now, unburden yourself, but be quick about it - Corrie's on in a moment and I have toasted muffins to smear with preserves."

"Sir Colin," he began (always the one for etiquette, that lad) "I bring great news from the webbernet."

"Go on," I said, intrigued, and raised an eyebrow to show such.

"We have achieved equality with laydeez," he announced.

I rose from my chair and staggered across to him, and we embraced as brothers in a very manly fashion.

"You don't mean....." I said quietly.

"Yes," he said, ruffling my quiff. "We've got International Men's Day! We can celebrate on 19th November every year from now on. It's been a hard-fought battle, but I knew we'd get it in the end!"

I brushed a tear from my eye. The tide is turning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

International Men's Day- WOO HOOOOO !!!

Ok. Now that we've got a day it's vital that we DO SOMETHING on November 19, and not just talk about how good it is to have a day. We need to show the world we are going to celebrate thins thing with a few buddies. THAT will make it grow and grow

Here's the official IMD website, tells what its about and how to celebrate: http://www.international-mens-day.com/

Col said...

Alright, already! No need to get carried away, anonymous - or should I say 'Bro'?