Tuesday 18 September 2007

Tour du monde VI: A Fishy Thing

Stretched out as I am on one of Toulouse's many beautiful sandy beaches, I can feel the old garlic charm entering my very person. Not to mention the foie gras slicking up my bloodstream.

Interestingly, and typical of the independently-minded Frenchoise, they actually have different words for things to us. I don't mean 'I' or 'we' or 'and' or 'but' or 'or' - although that's their word for silver - but our everyday English nouns, like 'chaise-longue', 'souvenir', and 'entrepreneur'.

Sheer madness.

But - and imagine my shock if you will - that our very own "hake", the mythical undersea fish-like creature, is known by the entirely inappropriate name of 'Colin'.

Immediately I finish this entry I will be penning a formal letter of complaint to El Presidente de Gaulle.

It's not as if he doesn't owe us one.

No comments: