Monday 16 March 2009

Crandleford Green - An Apology

The incredibly funny Dawn Saunders

In common with everyone I have ever met, or that I now know, or will get to know in the future, and in common with any person with an ounce of critical faculty or just a lone brain cell weaving its solitary way around a near-void of a cranium, I, too, thought that BBC costume drama was an affront to my license-paying*.

Like all others, I felt that a bunch of actors and actresses dressing up in olden-days clobber and deploying accents learned at the mouths of country-folk who must have seen them coming a mile off, was a pretty lame way to fill up valuable television time.

Even bringing in comedy giants like Jennifer French and her accomplice Saffron Sawalalalalaha from other shows was - I believed - another vain attempt to rescue this tawdry, simpering genre.

However, I have now revised my position having caught a moment of last night's episode of whichever costumiered effort it was. In a climactic scene, a woman gave a young boy a sausage which he was advised was 'for to gird him'.

I now freely admit I was wrong all along about costume drama.

It is in fact EVEN WORSE than cricket.

* Subject to payment of licence fee.

No comments: