Friday 27 March 2009

Pegging defined


There was Beattie giggling away over his PC first thing this morning.

"What's got into you?" I asked.

"Funny you should put it that way," he smirked.

"Have you been googling solo again?" I queried.

"I've been checking up on pegging," he confessed.

"Tell me more," I demanded.

"See for yourself," he said.

And I did and I could not see what all the fuss was about.

Definitions

1. To put a peg into.

2. To pin (laundry) on a clothesline.

3. To attach or fix as if with a peg.

4. To place in a definite category ("was pegged as an intellectual")

5. To mark by pegs.

6. A scoring system in the card-game cribbage.

7. A method of stabilizing a country's currency by fixing its exchange rate to that of another country.

8. A practice of an investor buying large amounts of an underlying commodity or security close to the expiry date of a derivative held by the investor. This is done to encourage a favorable move in market price.

9. A mnemonic system which turns a number (any number), into a set of phonetic sounds or letters. These sounds are then joined together to form words, and these words may then be linked together to form a series of images. Finally these images may then be committed to memory. This enables an individual to recall numbers of up to (and above) 100 digits, with relative ease.

I still don't know what amused the tittering fool quite so much, but I'm not going to stop my probing until I get to the bottom of it.

No comments: