Monday 28 April 2008

Chemical brother


I have long been a fighter against all things racistic, and can often be found in a park cheering on a variety of beat combos to this end. It provides a perfect opportunity to consume copious barrels of cider and whatnot (wink!) and tell perfect strangers how much I love them, and at the same time flaunt my principles.

This weekend was no exemption, and I was pleased to be spotted - totally off my bonkers luvvied-up bonce - in the crowd of Victoria Park by an old friend who secured me a backstage pass to celebrate 30 years of music in parks.

It was serendipitous. (A word coined from the name for a robotic dog who appeared in the enormously forgettable children's TV magazine programme "Tom-Tom". It means something like 'bloody lucky'.)

About halfway through the set by 'The Good, The Bad, and.....ER the Queen', poor Demon Albarn stubbed his little finger as he trilled the ivories way too far up the trebles.

Chaos ensued. The band stomped off stage and pleaded with me to help out.

Finally, despite being pissed IN FULL EFFECT, I agreed to step into the breach. The boys trooped back out to the roar of anti-racist freedom-fighters' encouragement while I stayed behind the scenes as Demon mimed over the top of my stylophonic-contribution-wizardry

We were able to complete the gig with my tiny organ and a cracking 27-minute version of "Oh Danny Boy". It's going to be on the B-side of their next single, according to their basso player Paul Simonononononononononononon.

The racists were right miffed, I can tell you.

No comments: