Saturday 10 May 2008

McRotation

I am in the utmost North of England. The bit they call Scotland.

Not much seems to be going on save for 'Hooting the Mon' and 'curly-wurling' - their two national sports after 'greeting'.

Here you can see me admiring their greatest piece of archtectation-cum-engineery - the world-famous in Clackmannanshire "Gilby Finger."

It's basically a big pointy tower thing which looked space-age, I'm sure, back when it was built with all the oil money. Apparently they had a referendumb in which they were asked to choose between this and introducing stab vests for their Police.

I am told that on good days, when the weather is fine, and subject to prevailing mechanical maintenance and the operator's overtime rates, it spins aroond and aroond a bit for up to three minutes at a time.

No-one seems to know why.

This was the highlight of my trip.

No comments: