Tuesday 20 January 2009

A Day Of Great Momentousnessissity

Seeing as its 47 years to the day that John Frankenstein Kennedy got inauguraugurated I decided to pay my own little tribute to him in the form of kabuki. He was, famously, a hamburger.

Later on today, of course, there is the 51st anniversary of the polar explorers Dame Vivian Fuchs and her team, accompanied by Baroness Hillary Edmund, completing the first surface all-women-and-huskies crossing of the Antarctic.

But far more important than all that old pony, this evening I will be ensconced to the neck in Club Derrig's Presidential doings as we come together to hold a vigil of drinking to mark yet another year passing which - scandalously maximales - has not seen a black person achieve the Presidency of the USA of A.

Of course, sadly it will never happen, but do not deny us our hope.

In some ways it reminds me of a fairy story my father used to tell me when tucking me up at bedtime. It was a lovely little tale about a tin container.

Now, this container was so small - tiny in fact, and of tubular shape.

The tiny tinny used to wander about all forlorn and lost, feeling not at all good.

Finally the tiny tinny went up to the head of the tiny tinny tribe.

Looking up from his low position, craning his tiny tinny neck, he asked, "Tell me O Great One, will a day come when I will be chosen to serve a purpose? Maybe to lead our people to grat acclaim and good fortune? Will I be able to set an example and inspire people?"

And the massive chief tin looked down on the ever so small little tiny tinny and said in a great booming voice...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"YES, WEE CAN!"

No comments: