Friday 5 December 2008

A certain expectation


You will know, of course, of my journey to Turkish a week back.

Unlike some people, I like to return bearing gifts of my trip for friends and family. It is all part of my generous nature.

I go for quality, too. None of this "My mate went to Istanbul and all I got was this lousy fez" rubbish.

Decent gifts which I pick thoughtfully, a dedicated endeavour through which I can show that once in a while I, too, can think about other people.

I don't want acclaim for it. No, that would be ludicrous. Highly ludicrous.

I don't even ask for a gift in return so that I stay evens-stevens with whoever the grateful recipient of my largenesse may so be.

But I am all flabbergasted and flummoxed with the latest lack of turn of events.

Scenario: I hand over in good faith a perfectly good, fit-for-purpose, mock-turkish-carpet fridge magnet of no less than 1.5inches by 2.5 inches. It did not cost a fortune. Far from it. It actually doubled as the ticket to a Turkish harem where I whiled myself away a bit for a while about two days of my four day trip.Oh how I whiled.

Yes, I hand over this remarkable artefact - a tribute to the ancient skills of the weaverers of that carpet-crazy nation - to someone who took it swiftly.

But nary not a word of thank you, sir, at all!

NARY NOT!

It is a good thing I am a man of deep forgiveableness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The waistcoat memento seems to have got lost in the internal post. Just to let you know.

Col said...

It may have fallen through the wire mesh of your in-tray? (I had to guess on size.)