Thursday 20 March 2008

Chocolate egg weekend


It's an amazing few weeks around this time of year - full of festivities that aren't Xmas.

I can't say I have a clue about it, but I think sometimes that (whatever the actual message is) it gets a bit lost in our consumerist lifestyles.

One thing I do know is that it's not just about rabbits, and eggs, and cake and four days off work in a row - though these are all things worth making a bit of a song and dance about.

No, the message is about the important things in life.

Important things like beauty, friendship, and an all-encompassing love of one's fellow beings; the sound of a choir - nay, a soloist - ranging up and down that most simple of musical elements, the sol-fa scale; the wondrous feel of a breeze dancing sensuously on one's skin; the lusty taste of a plain rustic bread; the inspiring smell of jasmin drifting on the evening air; and, of course,the touching sight of children frolicking joyfully together in the park.

And, despite all the temptations put in my path, I'm all for a modest life of simple, small comforts, and using my talents to dispense wisdom, guidance, and largesse to the many people I meet along this all-too-short path 'twixt cradle and grave.

And I am more than grateful for all the gifts that have been bestowed upon me, making me the unique being that I am, making me special, but not so special that I cannot enjoy the company of others.

So, I implore one and all:

Be of good cheer!
Celebrate!
Hang out the bunting!
Let the bells ring forth!

For today I have risen!

(And with a fair wind and the right oils applied in a similar manner, I may do so again tomorrow.)

No comments: