Thursday 5 July 2007

Weird food alert II

This unappeasing confection is mashed potato, or "mashpo" as its known amongst its very few afficianados.

I really don't have a problem with vegetable matter being used to provide cavity-wall insulation, but I do not expect to see it on my dinner plate.

I wasted twenty-three years of psychotherapy and hypnotherapy trying to get to the bottom of my hatred of this particular foodstuff. Apart from a huge bill, all the quack treating me could give me was "Under hypnosis you kept shouting 'The nuns! No! Not the nuns!'" I now firmly believe that the various mentalist disciplines can never be classed as sciences.

As for the fools who bracket "mashpo"with the culinary delight that are chips, (and I don't mean French fries, Monsieur Le Gourmet!) and who make wild claims that both originate in the same plant, I can only pity their parents' inability to send them to a proper learning establishment of the sort run by the beneficent and kindly Holy Brothers.

It's good to know I'm not the only one out there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear that you've been varying your diet recently - even eating - wait for it - SALADS! How sick are you?

Amanda Kendal said...

And, on the subject of mashed potato and salads, how about a mashed potato salad?

Recipies here and here.

Unknown said...

Glad to see you linking to the great Cory "the flying pumpkin" Davidson - what are your views on pumpkin mash?

Col said...

I think you will find the answer in Jezebel Chap 6 verse 4: "And lo she was stricken with the gut-rot for serving up a noxious blend of the unclean and the inedible".