Tuesday 16 September 2008

Avec Braisers 2



Braisers ecrit:

Report No.2, SAH!

At the whim'n'behest of a trusty local I have been whisked up on a boat and sent to sea, or La Mare as the French-o-philes might put it.

On asking I learn that I am aboard an 'escargoat' - one of a fleet of plucky little vessels on which snooty, hard-loving Frenchmen risk their lives to bring home the bounty that is the snail. Which goes lovely with garlick, like most French cuisine, smothering as it does the taste of virtually anything. I believe the garlick to have been developed as a gastronomic retort to the British equivalent, brown sauce.

I am groaning with wonder at being thrust right up the middle of Franco-culture into this hot spot of rubbery delicacies. Yum.

Et, le famous Rugby Union is very trés populaire round these parts, what with the Catalonian fondness for a bit of roughing up and giving a good kicking between the posts. Everywhere I go I am greeted with "Bonjour, Monsieur Tony Le Tigre" - a reference to my affinity with the Darlington Tigers, no doubt.

Or occasionally it's, "Bonjour Mr.Crocodile Dundee." Must take hat off. Report ends.

No comments: